The Foxdenton heritage started in the early 1400’s when Elizabeth Radclyffe married her cousin Robert Radclyffe and they built the first Foxdenton Hall as their home. William Radcliffe “The Foxdenton Redhead” rebuilt the Hall in 1620. He was killed together with his son and heir, Robert, fighting for his country at the battle of Edgehill in 1642. It was Alexander (Radclyffe) who was responsible for rebuilding the Hall in 1700 as it is seen today. The last of the Radclyffes was Charles Robert Eustace who died in 1953 bringing to an end the long line of Radclyffes who had lived in Foxdenton Hall.
During the turbulent times of the Civil Wars, when the Cavaliers were very vulnerable, it would have been expedient to have a quick means of escape, and it was widely rumoured that Foxdenton Hall had a tunnel from Foxdenton to Chadderton
Hall. This was never really proved except when Chadderton Council were renovating the Hall in 1965 they found a large stack of bricks under the new stone terrace. Albert Halkyard claims to have found evidence of this tunnel through the use of a ‘revealer’ a sophisticated piece of equipment and supposedly the ‘tunnel’ ran for about 20ft before it was blocked by a brick wall.
Any fundraising ideas please use the contact us form.